Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Graffiti Walls from BACN Meeting on 5/ 16/ 14

Graffiti Walls from BACN Meeting on 5/ 16/ 14

We had a wonderful meeting in May. Below are the comments from the graffiti walls that we opened up the discussion with. If you couldn't attend the meeting feel free to respond to the prompts and add your comments!

Hope to see you at the next BACN meeting in the fall! 
Andy Hess


What areas of your coaching are you best at?

Strengths:
-       drive
-       passion
-       infectious sharing
-       listening
-       patience
-       selecting the most important suggestions/ feedback
-       inspiring trust
-       seeing the big picture
-       identifying high-leverage specific areas within the big picture
-       balance between questioning (facilitative)and directive coaching
-       care about and know teachers
-       good at observing
-       helpful at finding resources
-       good at organizing, documenting, synthesizing
-       giving practical feedback
-       listening
-       picking a focus

What is most difficult?

Challenges:
-       Do I have something to offer?
-       Strategic conflict avoidance
-       Empathy when key quality is low
-       Following “thread” of coaching when long periods pass between encounters
-       Variety of questions (lack of)
-       Wanting to give suggestions based on my experience vs. what I see in that teacher
-       Accountability
-       Saying hard things when necessary
-       Planning and sticking to plan in conversations
-       Fear of “pushing” teachers or holding them accountable- reluctance to share hard truths or unclear on how to ask questions that would reveal them

How have you grown as a coach this year?

-       more confident in myself
-       I took more time to listen to teachers
-       tried to limit my feedback to one or two tips/ strategies to not overwhelm
-       I see the value of coaching better understood in the field- and how this is an important opportunity for expanding my own and BACN’s impact
-       More confident about asking questions and more knowledgable about curriculum and instruction
-       Learned more tools and techniques as well as underlying philosophy of transformational coaching
-       Confidence in integrity of work
-       Being more reflective of my own practice
-       Additional tools and techniques in the “tool box”
-       Planning better questions to ask the coachee
-       My ability to be with the relationships I have with teachers and allow the relationships to be the driver of our goals, the frame, confidence to relax

What challenges do you face in your coaching practice?

-       clarity of my role (Am I a coach?)
-       time with teachers
-       no structure for teachers to set goals and work on them with me
-       lack of clarity about the model- how it works, it’s strengths, it’s shortcomings and how it creates opportunities for accountability (i.e. that teachers need to work and improve)
-       official vs. unofficial coaching opportunities/ roles
-       can feel like I’m overstepping, but the need is there and I feel I must/ should help
-       inconsistent meeting times
-       little or no accountability
-       Some teachers are asked to be there and are not choosing to be there
-       Not enough time with each teacher- this is time intensive work
-       Confidentiality vs. accountability

How do you keep track of your coaching conversations?

-       I have a notebook for each “coachee” in a file folder with other docs
-       I reflect in an online journal- but it isn’t very organized
-       Observation notes/ write ups- folder per intern in Dropbox “check sheet” to keep track of observations and types/ subjects of lessons
-       Computer files w/notes, lesson plans, observation reports
-       Binders for each school/ project with sections for teachers
-       Google doc by teacher in which I take notes for us

-       “Reflection station” doc I use to capture my understanding of where coachee is now and where we are heading

No comments:

Post a Comment